Friday, May 20, 2011

Don't Miss It!

Sometimes I just sit and stare at people in airports, restaurants, malls........and I wonder to myself "are they happy? are they suffering? are they okay?" I always wonder what is REALLY going on inside of people. You know, you just can't fake happiness! Go back and look at photos of yourself. I do this all the time and I shine the most in my pictures when I'm truly happy. Then I see those pictures which are not so flattering and I remember "oh yes, I was disturbed or feeling a bit grim that day." I'm reading a wonderful book, One Thousand Gifts by Voskamp and she talks about this 'sanctuary of time'. I want to enjoy each moment, while I can. She quotes a pastor as saying

"Being in a hurry. Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me. I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry. But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the way of all the rushing...Through all that haste I thought I was making up time. It turns out I was throwing it away."

She says "I don't really want more time, I want enough time. Time to breathe deep and time to see real and time to laugh long, time to give You glory and rest deep and sing joy and just enough time in a day not to feel hounded, pressed, driven, or wild to get it all done- yesterday. - Hurry always empties a soul" and my moist favorite thing that she says....

WHEREVER YOU ARE..BE ALL THERE

Stop looking at your phone, stop checking your dang facebook, stop texting and listen.............I'm slowly learning. I'm sunbaithing in the funny and serene moments with the kids. I love this picture of the girls talking to their cousins on the phone. Look at them......holding one another....sigh......another sigh.......I don't want them to grow up. I love their shade of innocense......although momentary......I love it and want to be stuck in this moment forever. That can't happen, snap my fingers and come back to reality. But atleast I didn't miss it!! Are you missing the moment? Ladies are always asking me if I'm doing the next best bible study or going to the next best ladies event at church. I usually say "maybe later." Nothing wrong with these fabulous opportunities.....but they will be around later and my preschooler won't be. I get that wild horse look when I'm going 100mph and I don't feel comfortable. Right now.......I just want to 'be all there'.

No comments: