Friday, May 13, 2011

Fun Mommy Tips After 7 years.......I'm Still Learning




I was thinking that it would be fun to share some of the things we do around the Alexander Home that really help us out and hoping these tips help you out too. We have begged, borrowed, stolen, and made it up as we've traveled this journey called life!

1. Never thought that Men's Axe spray would come in handy. Paul won't wear it
but I found it handy to keep a spray can in the bathroom for those un-
pleasant moments. One spray will knock out any scent that might be looming!

2. I like to make banana chocolate-chip muffins or some other type on Sunday
night and warm them up for breakfast all week for the girls! yummy/easy


3. When kids are fighting in the car........I turn up the music really loud
and I feel like loud music is better than 'loud mom!' They eventually stop.

4. You have girls? We do and go through tons of shampoo/conditioner. I've been
buying the pumps at Walmart for $3 per large bottle and it will last for
6-9 months. Pumps get more out and girls use less!

5. Looking for healthy/cheap snacks? Sounds like an oxymoron, I know. But...
Costco saved the day for me! We buy Large Bag Crasins, Lg bag of Sea Salt
Chips, Lg bag of Almonds, Annies all natural fruit snacks, Guacamole, Lg
box of individual all natural applesauces, sweet potato chips, Lg.Organic
strawberry jam, and veggie chips- all for about $50.00 Lasts for a month!

6. Your kid wets the bed in middle of night? We put a fitted sheet under the
mattress pad so that I don't have to put another sheet on the bed at mid-
night. I just wait until am to wash and put pad on. Atleast they have dry/
clean sheet for the night. super easy!

7. Want a cheap reward to give your kids!? We only allow t.v. and dessert on
Fri-Sun. No dessert or t.v. on school nights. So.....Friday is so much fun
and occasionally I'll surprise them with t.v. or dessert in the middle of
week as a reward and they are estatic! My kids are only ages 3,6,7--easy
to please- still!

8. Does your kid suck his/her thumb? Cure it quickly by using painter's tape
and short popsicle sticks at night. I tape them onto their thumbs and they
have no desire to stick thumb in mouth! It works!!!

9. Not sure what to do for your quiet time? Maybe you're 'Beth Moored' out
and ready for something different......but no bible studies. Well, you're
not gonna believe this but I'm reading thru the bible in a year and I
LOVE it. I'm behind on the schedule but just taking my time and journaling
and underlining all the cool tidbits that I'm learning! I thought it was
gonna be boring but........love it!!

10. Wanna get in shape but you HATE running? Go walking or get on a treadmill
and set it too a quick pace with HILLS!! You'll really feel it in your
legs, that's where we want to slim up. Also, lift light weights to help
get rid of the saggy arms and back-fat! I'm dealing with it all now! Got
muffin tops??? stop eating so many carbs/sugar--- get on a large ball and
do sit-ups a few times a week. Keep it simple and low key!!

11. Family devotions at night? What, huh?!! We use the Jesus Story Bible but
we've been though it a million times now. So, we are letting Kennedy read
the stories. If Jesus Story Bible is too hard to read, pick up a simpler
one. We have that too and Kennedy prefers it. It's fun seeing the kids
lead the bible study by reading now and then!

12. Ummm....what happened to table manners? We play a game at mealtime to
see who doesn't put napkin in lap or puts elbows on the table. The
signaled saying is "I don't see any ladies/gentlemen at the talbe..."
That quickly reminds them. Daddy always loses the game cause despises
putting a napkin in his lap and loves to put elbows on table. This goes
for talking with food in mouth too! When you catch em' doing it, you get
a point!

13. Okay one more!! I couldn't get Kennedy to read and now she's the top
reader and writer in her 1st grade class......reading on 3-4 grade level
and amazing writer. Secret?? food!! Find your child's soft spot. She loves
to eat so here is what I do. After she has read 5 pages (you can start
with small number) she can come see more for her bowl of goodies. I give
her cereal, craisins, nut mix, or choco. chips. Each time she finishes a
page, she can put one craisin or chip in her mouth! She will read for 2
hrs. Half the time, she forgets to eat at each page cause she is so into
the story!! If your kids loves t.v./Wii, give them same amount of minutes
on t.v. that they spend reading!! You catching on?

Well people, here are my silly thoughts and I hope they help! Feel free to post any of your amazing tips! I love hearing what other moms do cause I still have a lot to learn!!

No comments: