Sunday, February 28, 2010

Take Me Back..............






Well, we had a great morning, filling bags of food for Haiti. It flooded my heart with past memories of missions. Venezuela was our last missions trip. I found this picture of a boy taking care of his little sister. Lately, I have had the itching to do more, be more, and give more. I look at my home and want to throw it all away. The materials mean nothing to me. I've been reading up more and more about missions too. I just finished reading Scared and reading Hole in the Gospel. I cried out to God the other night "What do you want? I'm listening!!!" I'm not sure. But I do know one thing......we are downsizing, buying less, and trying to give more. I have 3 kids!! What values do I want them to inherit? Things mean nothing to Paul and I. I don't want to be attached to a home, a car, a bank account, a wardrobe, or a hobby! I want my children to realize that God is the center of our world...........not the crap here on earth! There is something so freeing about giving away valuable items. I wish we could just move to the inner-city and live IN THE THICK of POVERTY! I best be careful cause my wish may come true. Yes, it scares me to think about living next door to criminals etc..........but one does adjust. Each day, I'm gonna get rid of something in this house. It takes time, you know? I believe God has been slowly chiseling away at me for the past 10 years. Slowly and surely I have given up things. I stopped buying ridiculous decorations for my home years ago!! I mean, who really cares about that stuff??? We have pictures of our kids and items from past missions trips hanging on our walls. But...I have so far to go. God is still working on me and carefully pulling my fingers away from the items that are clinched with-in. Who knows......I may be giving something away to you soon! Each day, something must go. No one should have the amount of things that we have.......way too much. :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds right! having the right perspective and hearts are the important issues. Knowing that life doesn't consist in the things we have. But God does provide in his Grace and Blessing. Wealth and riches and things are not bad in and of themselves. It's what we do with them and what we are with them that matters...Living for him where we are and who we are moment by moment. Tough to do and tough to be.