Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Springbreak= Family Time








I'm gonna warn you as you read this......I'm listening to the Braveheart movie soundtrack and feeling a bit nostalgic, sentimental, and vulnerable. So writing about my family might turn into a tear fest! Well, Springbreak was a smashing success, as usual. Each year we save up a few dollars and do a "staycation" at home. I think I like it as much as some vacations cause it's so easy! The best part is doing all the creative planning and keeping some of it a surprise. We have 2 weeks for break in AZ and we soak up every moment, soaking in the blue skies, sunrays, and blooming desert. We know that smoldering hot temperatures are around the corner, so we move outside as long as we can.

So each day of break there was some surprise. It was as easy as a rental from Redbox or as elaborate as camping in our own backyard. Paul took one week off and that's when we jumped into the super cool surprises. We saw Star Wars in 3D in the theater (our first 3D experience), went out to eat at P.F. Changs, hiked a 3 mile course up the mountain with a picnic lunch, camped for 2 days in the backyard, went swimming at the local outdoor heated aquatic center, played at the train park, and much more! We might as well have been at Disney! The kids were just as excited and the enthusiasm level was high. The only difference is about $700! I can handle that! Paul and I even squeezed in a date. Not to mention I had my triathlon during this time and that was a blast too. We sure did sandwich in tons of activities. I was feeling a bit forlorn when kids returned to school today. As much as they drove me crazy on the last day of Spring Break, I still wished for more time.

I"m hoping we will all remember these sweet experiences. It's not really about what we did but doing it together as a family; it has been so worthwhile and speaks greatly to my heart.

No comments: