Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Twinkle in Her Eye


Looking back through my journal of 1000 Gifts, inspired by Ann Voskamp, I realized how amazing our lives can be if we just allow His work and His plan to take root in our lives. Some say a picture is worth a 1000 words and I would concur; and if you look close enough you might see the twinkle in Mia's eyes. Read below to see a part of 1000 gifts that have been give to me. (She being one of them!)

#7 Thankful for Mia's naturally loud and jovial, booming voice (even when it's supposed to be a quiet or serene moment)

#42 Gasping for breath as I try and keep up with Mia on her bike and hearing the loud "wheee.........this is incredible.......whee" as she descends down miniature hills that feel like mountains to her.

#38 Watching Mia smell her freshly washed babies and blankies and then look up at me, with huge blue pools of eyes and small splashes of dimples and thank me.


#43 Hearing Kennedy remind me that she thinks I'm the best mom in the whole world and knowing that I'm full of flaws

#4 Finding Kennedy's dress up clothes scattered all over the floor and feeling the gentle tug at my heart as I thank God that she is still a little girl.

#14 Watching Kennedy 'mother' her dolls and play house. She will turn out to be a compassionate mother one day.


#22 Seeing Lincoln come bustling out of his room with great approval shining all over his face because he has managed to pull on 3 layers of clothes and has successfully dressed himself

#1 Listening to Lincoln's sweet underdeveloped speech as he sings "you are my sunshine"......while he is in timeout and hopes it will cause early release for him

#29 knowing that Lincoln begs me to tell him another batman story at bedtime every night.


#30 Watching all 3 kids and the dog tackle daddy on the floor with complete freedom to tickle, poke, and kiss at all measures. Hearing the unrelenting laughter and short breaths of instant happiness squeak loudly and continue to resonate in our home.

#35 Witnessing a broken and beat down man pick himself up and continue to become the father, husband, friend, and pastor that he was created to become.

#7 Hearing and feeling words "I forgive you" whispered from each and every family member as I continue to roll out my flaws.

So there you have it......a snapshot of things I'm thankful for in 2011. Keeping this journal has been one of the best investments ever. Writing in it is like therapy for the soul and it reminds me of how much God has given to me and reminds me too of how much I have to lose. I cherish each one of these gifts each day, knowing that they are not guaranteed or even deserved each day. Any gift can be lost or taken back at any moment. I hold these gifts, not because they are soley mine but are because they are given to me to borrow and take care of until further notice.

No comments: