Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Teeter Totter of Materialism



Balance, balance, balance. Why is that so hard sometimes? I'm so cool and calm all year about spending and buying toys for my kids...........I just don't do it. Then Christmas comes and yikes!!! It's so hard!! My 7year old daughter asked us for an i-touch and I about had a heart attack. Paul calmly looked down at her and responded "Kennedy, I don't even have an i-phone.....dream on." We give the kids 3 gifts on Christmas morning. So, it takes some serious thinking to decide which 3 gifts to give them. They do get stockings too and those have some pretty cool items but then that's it! Just 3 gifts!!! No Santa gifts under the tree; just 3 gifts from mom/dad and then some gifts from Grandma and Grandpa. I"m not gonna lie; it's super hard to stick to that agreement but I'm glad we do that. I'm so inclined to buy every cute thing out there for my kids.
Christmas isn't the only time in life to keep that balance. It's challenging all year. Each time we have company over, the kids want to give away a toy or some trinket from their room. Sometimes they go into their piggy banks and give their friends money. A few years ago, when they first started doing this, I was inclined to step in and politely ask them not to give. But then I realized that there isn't a toy in their room that they can't live without. They are just toys! They aren't always so giving when it comes to 'eachother', but so glad to see them sharing with their friends. Glad to see them letting go of their possessions so easily. Wish it was always that easy for Paul and I.
Two experiences that stick out in my mind and remind me to chill out, happened last year. We were at a friend's house and my kids were wrestling on someone's 'new furniture' and it bothered the owners greatly. I couldn't help but wonder what on earth the couch was there for. When kids visit our home, I try and remember that it's more important that the guests feel welcome than my house remain in perfect condition. People are always more important than my stuff. Another situation was when Linc. wanted to hold an older boy's book last year. The mother bent down and whispered for the boy to put it away cause Linc. would probably break the book. Wow! I know kids do have valuable possessions and keep those put up from toddlers. But when we encourage our kids to hold tight to those simple things that can easily be replaced, what will happen when kids have something more valuable, like money? Will they share it?
Of course these are random experiences and I'm sure both situations can be properly defended to the death; but generally speaking, you get the point? I think we can always find an excuse to hold tight and keep things to ourselves. It's hard to let go, share at all costs, and play nicely.........as adults. Our kids are direct reflections of us, often. They learn from us. We can be amazing teachers...if we want :)

No comments: