Friday, July 8, 2011

Unplanned Commotion Works Best

Sometimes I find myself getting caught up "planning" family fun and creating the perfect environments for vacations, making sure the destination is the most unimaginaeable petri dish for family fun! Resulting in paying way too much money, dealing with normal bloopers such as: tired/cranky children, flat tires, forgotten binkis, etc........The older I get the more I realize that just ceasing the moment with everyone home and jumping into a game of Monopoly, Uno Attack, pillow fights, swimming pools, or just camping in our own backyard like hillbillys can be triumphant in the memory making process. Today we had tons of errands to run. I started by taking 2 kids to run errands while Paul kept 1 kid to help him hook up the sound system and get truck detailed at car wash. I then returned and we traded kids. He took the other two kids to wash/detail the mini-van and I stayed home with Kennedy this time. She was jumping with glee cause she got mom all to herself. The first thing we did was warm up peanut butter and chocolate chips in microwave and eat it out of the bowl with a spoon. Next we headed out to the backyard to play Mermaids in the pool. She had to give me a crash course in that area! I taught her how to do a sommersault in the water and how to swim without taking breaths. Then we balanced on a circular inner-tube and see-sawed back and forth. It ended with me falling over and coming up out of water looking like George Washington with my seawead hair and floating sun glasses!

As the other returned, we all began the diving process and learning how to dive by jumping, head first into a inner tube! Paul decided to forget about finishing the details on the cars and dove into the water to help Lincoln swim. In a few hours we had taught Linc. how to swim, girls how to dive, and earned a pretty good tan! Today truly takes the cake! My day started with a 6mile run and pancakes........I had no idea that I'd be teaching Kennedy free style swim and then doing the rapids on an inner tube with my 7 year old. Tonight, Paul and I go out on our date for our 15th wedding anniversary. I couldn't have planned today. It has been perfect! I'm grateful for this much needed time together as a family. Ironically enough, this is one of the few summers that we haven't taken a vacation and yet being at home has been a blast!

No comments: